Monday, April 16, 2012

Pick Up Games in the Living Room

So I finally sat down inspired to complete the next chapter of my novel, when Aiman came up to me and showed me a round black lid to an empty vitamin bottle. You know, one of those 500 horse-tablet containers.  He had a shit-eating grin and the tile scrubber with the stick thrown over his shoulder. "Can I play with this lid?" he asked.

"Sure," I answered absently and went back to my chapter. I heard the noise levels rising from the living room.
I shut it down with a "QUIET" shouted over my shoulder.

Five minutes and a lot of laughing later, Samiya walked up and asked me, "Mom, do they get in trouble for hitting with the hockey sticks while playing?"  I told her that I suppose it depends on where they're hitting and how.  "I'm sure hooking someone in the face with a stick and the puck is at the other end of the ice would probably end up with at least a penalty box or a good pounding for the offender. Now hand me that dictionary on the table because I can't remember if 'imminent' has two i's in it." I got my dictionary and then the light bulb came on.

"ARE YOU GUYS PLAYING HOCKEY IN THE LIVING ROOM?"

"Yes, ma'am," was sung back by 4 of the 5 kids in a chorus.

I shook my head, realizing that if I broke up the game now, the whining about whose turn it is to use the computer would start and I wasn't done with my chapter still.

"NO BODY CHECKS ABOVE THE KNEES BECAUSE YOU MAY MISS AND BREAK THE T.V."

Who says I'm not up for MOTY award?

3 comments:

  1. Where do we send our nominations? You got it this year, hands down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice! I'll get my husband's mailing address at work to you soonest. Be sure to send your nominations in triplicate and make all bribery checks payable to SQUARERPEGSROUNDERHOLES.COM. hahahaha.

      Delete